Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I Thought of Something to Say:

I like my blog. I really like my blog.

I like thinking about things to write, I like writing it, I like when you comment on it.

Do not be offended engaged / married people at what I'm about to say. 
I love you. I do. 
But I cannot do to my blog what you have done to yours. 
Not ever.

I was talking to a buddy recently and he begged me never to go all mushy on my blog because there are a couple blogs that we follow that we hardly ever check anymore because the originality and individuality has faded from the words. It's like aliens are writing these blogs. Mostly because these "Just Her" blogs have become "His and Hers." 

I guess what I'm saying is this: This is my blog. Just mine. I can't imagine changing it to a "his and her" blog. Not even if/when my life becomes a "his and her" life. It would ruin the sanctity of what little Chester the Best-er has grown up to be. I admit it, sometimes I talk about people I'm (was) interested in. Maybe in the next few years Mr. Chester will come along and make my life a mushy "his and her" life. That's okay. It's kind of fun to think about sometimes. But this blog is still my own. I will do what I have always done when it come to boys in my life. Talk about them vaguely. Use Harry Potter nicknames to disguise their identities. Pretend that they (mostly) don't exist. Mostly because they don't. Hahaha!

I like having my own observations, my own sense of humor, my own reasons for getting up in the morning (or not getting up because I stayed up too late watching episodes of Glee or So You Think You Can Dance or Arrested Development). And though I realize that if/when someone becomes a fixture in my life and suddenly the real world seems to revolve around him, I'd like to think I could come back to this little blog o' mine, and just be myself and by myself with you guys. Like if I wanted a family blog, I would make one. But this one, this one would stay for just me and you. You know? 

Some of you started blogs because you were married already and wanted to let family know about your new lives. I am not talking to you, haha. Some of you had blogs while single and then changed the titles to include your husbands' names when you got married. I guess you're the ones who inspired this post. Sort of. I hope that you'll remember what your writing was like when you were on your own. I fell in love with reading your blogs because I fell in love with you. Not your husbands. Not the person you are with your husband. The person that was just you and only you. 

Don't ever think that I'm saying that you shouldn't acknowledge the most important people in your life because you must, but I'm begging you not to let YOU get lost in the mix. That's all. Please change the titles of your blogs if you want to. Talk about The One as much as you want to. Just, remind your readers of the real, raw YOU every now and then. Okay?

Oh my word.
What a weird post. I'm so sorry.
But do you guys agree?
Or am I really out there right now?

That being said, I love reading Kelsey's blog. I can't explain it, but she has managed to defy everything I just ranted about. So obviously you can't take me too seriously. But I AM being serious when I say

 There will never be a boy's name in the title of my blog.
 Not ever.

Oh wait. 
Chester IS a boy's name.
Crap.
I failed already.

13 comments:

Go Towards the Light said...

hahaha... youre not by yourself...its always nice to have somewhere for you to go and be just you... not you plus him

Emmy said...

Oh, Chess! We love you, too :) And don't worry, I know exactly what you mean when you say that blogs should stay individualized. Ramblings of a Devoted Bookworm is never going to be written by anyone but me, not even when Mr. Right sweeps me off my feet ;)

And, Chess, we don't want you to lose your individuality! Your blog is so light-hearted and fun! Don't ever change, luv!

Spratt said...

Amen sister! I hate all the dang mushy blogs so many of my friends seem to have as soon as they get engaged. I hate countdowns to wedding dates, and posts where they entire purpose is to tell a certain person how much they are in love with them. Those things should be private between the two of you! I don't want to read about it!
Also, Arrested Development is my favorite. :)

suzy said...

hm.
i know you said not to be offended, so i'm not, but may i write a friendly rebuttal?
:)
i'm totally one who likes to write a mushy post every now and then. i just really really really like my husband.
someone else had a rant like this about Christian bloggers and how something "private" like "religion" has no place in the blogosphere. how it's fine for people to love God but they shouldn't blog about it, for pete's sake.
but.
what is a blog? it's a place for you to express yourself. and when you're, say, a Christian,God is an important part [maybe the most important part] of who you are.
dare i say, same with boating, or garage saling or crafting or...marriage?
you get married, who "you" are all of a sudden involves someone else. and you get excited about it.
and it's great!
i dunno. i'm biased cuz i'm a married fuddy duddy, i guess.

Unknown said...

Was this post a warning to me? My blog was about her from the beginning. There was a period where she disappeared, though. I won't change the name, unless I think of something outrageously cool... I've always been mushy :). I only started a blog because I liked reading hers. It's my creative playground, but I'm so thankful she's in my life! You can't keep God, gaming or that beautiful girl out of my posts, M'Dear!

Lindsay said...

i could not agree more. nor could i love you more. thank you for putting in writing the things i have been saying for quite some time.

Kayce said...

"So, this one time, my super amazing totally attractive and oh so perfect husband took me on the most romantic super cool date and I think he's the greatest thing in the world and none of you have or ever will have cooler husbands than mine because he's the only greatest boy in the whole world and I LOVE LOVE LOVE him." Thanks for saying what everyone else was thinking. And please let me never say that on my blog (but can I keep the pictures?) and PLEASE always keep Chester-the-Bester. It makes me smile =)

Anonymous said...

Chess, I love you.

I totally agree!! I baby puke every time I log into Facebook and see a friend's profile that's suddenly become hers and her husband's. My mom put it into words when we were debating over the unity candles at my sister's wedding: "You light the one in the middle, but don't blow out the two on the side. You're still individual people, even if you are one now."

It's like, we know you're married, you just don't need to be slobbering it all over our faces.

I know all about this. The words "jealous bitch" have been used to describe me frequently because apparently my annoyance and disgust is masking me jealousy...

Sorry, had to vent. Fiance of a girl I used to be friends with decided to email me and accuse me of all sorts of stuff. When he's never. Even. Met. Me. SIGH

Chess, always be yourself. God made you an independent thinker, and we love your independent thoughts!!

KK said...

Great thoughts, Chess, couldn't agree more. ;) And I feel that the same goes (maybe even more so) for people who have kids. I understand that when people have kids, the kids become pretty much their entire life (at least when they're little), but I don't know many people that like to hear about/read about other people's kids, even their friends' kids. If I'm going to read YOUR blog, I want to read about YOU, not the silly, funny, cute, crazy, infuriating things your kids have been doing. I guess when you're a parent, that's really all you want to blog about, but you're really limiting your audience, IMO. ;)

Poppy said...

Lol, do you mean ______ family blog and _______ & _______ blog and ________'s baby blog? :D

I hate them.So cheesy and nothing to read there except when they changed the diaper for the last time ...
:)

you rock ..

Kelsey M. said...

hahaha. i loved this post. i know i've been guilty of my fair share of these posts. but i totally know what you mean. i always try my hardest not to become like that. because MY blog has been about ME for 2 years so its my place to be me & share my life. but husband is now the other half of my life, so he sneaks in every now and then. thank you for giving me credit for trying :) ha you're so sweet and i definitely was not offended. :)

CocoShirley said...

how many ways can I say

AMEN. AMEN. AMEN.

Im there with ya

brittany michelle said...

when you fail, you fail with style. lol. i swear i won't do that :) just like i solemnly swear i'm up to no good :D