It's been a long time since I've talked about special things. Things that I usually keep in my heart of hearts, pull out on the weekends in the early mornings when I can look at them without sleepy discouragement blurring my eyes.
I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You could call me a Mormon. That might be a little more familiar to you. I say it proudly over on my left sidebar. (If you want to learn more, you can click on the picture.) I know many of you share my particular beliefs, I know many of you are Christians as well (though I don't know which denominations you belong to), and I know some of you are anti-religion, and/or don't believe in God. That's just fine. But I do believe in God, and today is one of those days where I feel so strongly that he exists.
And since this blog is a place for me to be honest, to share my testimony, what I believe and what I know--well, I need to talk about it. I hope you will at least take the time to accept that these beliefs are the driving force behind the kind of person that I am and that I am striving to be. Whether or not you agree, I hope you will think of me as an honest, genuine human being. I say these words because I believe them to be true.
I'm not here to preach or to debate or to point out the differences between you and me. I'm simply going to tell you that I believe in God. I believe in His son, Jesus Christ. I believe the Holy Ghost is given to us to guide, inspire, and teach our spirits truth. I believe that a prophet guides us even now. I believe that Thomas S. Monson is that prophet today. I believe in the power of the priesthood. I believe in families. In moms and dads, and sons and daughters. In husbands, in wives, in brothers and sisters. In friends. I believe in love. And I believe that love and bonds between families and friends last so much further beyond death. I believe in ever afters. I believe in eternity.
I don't think that we could feel so strongly for one another, to work so hard to take care of each other, to cheer each other on, to strengthen and support one another, if we weren't working towards something much greater than what our limited human knowledge here on earth can understand. I don't think that we have come into each other's lives merely by coincidence.
I haven't met most of you, but you have shown me unbelievable kindness, charity, and friendship (the most beautiful aspects of humanity) through your comments and emails. I wish I could tell you how much of a difference you have made in my life in the past several months. It's people like you that teach me that there is something greater than what each one of us can do by him or herself. People coming together in love is what makes this world a beautiful place.
And that love, which can transcend distance, language, culture, time, and ultimately death... is not something I believe just showed up. I believe that it has always been and it will always be. It's so deeply ingrained in us, because it is a godly characteristic, and I believe we are God's children. Our parents know how to love us, and we'll know how to love our children, because God first loved us. I honestly believe that. We wouldn't know how to do that if a precedent had not been set for us. And I think that pattern was set long before this earth came into existence.
My very favorite scripture (aside from 2 Nephi 4) is found in the Book of Mormon (though I love the Bible as well), 3 Nephi 5:20. Mormon is speaking, and the most powerful lines from the verse read as follows, "I have reason to bless my God and my Savior Jesus Christ...that he hath given me and my people so much knowledge unto the salvation of our souls."
I have so many reasons "to bless my God and my Savior." So many! You, dear Groupies, are one of them. Thank you. Thank you so much. You are a significant part of why I value my life just the way it is. I'm so grateful for you. I have other reasons too: a healthy body and mind, a wonderful university where I can learn, a roof over my head, plenty to eat, a job, a family, and the dearest of friends.
So, those of you who believe in God and His son, Jesus Christ...
what reasons have you to rejoice?
Those of you who may believe in other gods,
what reasons have you to bless them?
And those of you who may not believe in any god,
what are you grateful for?
Because if nothing else,
I think we can agree that the GOOD in this world
far, far outweighs the BAD.
Have a wonderful week! I'll talk to you soon!
:-)



14 comments:
Beautifully said Chess! I say Amen to most of all that you have written here!
I am grateful to know you, and for all the encouragement you have given me!
I have been given much. I don't have many answers, but I know love! I've been given lots of it! I have learned how to love in return, and did so by following the principles in the BoM and the Bible. There's good stuff in those pages! My husband has taught me how to love as well.
I have a wonderful husband, a cute little house that we've made our home, a good job, a great family, and awesome friends!
I have many ways in which to grow still, and look forward to having many more reasons to rejoice!
Great post! :)
Just one thing: not believing in a god, does not per se make you anti-religion.
And even if it's not a god, everyone believes in something, everyone has his own religion.
Like you say, everyone has something to be grateful for.
Really, a very beautiful post.
I love the serious Chess as much as the goofy one.
Have a wonderful week yourself
stephanie
I love to hear people's testimony, as followers of Jesus.
I wasn't quite sure what you meant about families. Jesus tells us that our new forms won't be in states of union like the one's we celebrate here, and we won't be able to be given in marriage.
I believe Jesus takes our sins and tears down the wall separating us and God.
I also believe you have a cool new header! I've been using my phone to view your blog for a while, and I'm just sitting back at my comp. now after an extended separation. To save phone credit, I haven't been loading the pics, but now I see it in all it's glory.
Your new profile pic in the corner there is a little mare sexy... ;)
But I miss your big grin...
We take the good with the bad :).
*more...
not mare, clearly ;)
Lovely post Chess.
And, since you asked...
Me being an ex and all, I am probably most greatful for my life now, sans God. For being able to love human beings, and not despite a lifestyle or belief, simply for the beauty of life.
Chess, in response to your questions, I'm a Catholic. And I have so many reasons to rejoice! First of all, I have your blog to look forward to :) Honestly, its one of my favorites! You're always so sweet, whether its goofy Chess or serious Chess, and I love that!
I also have a wonderful family and friends, a chance at an education which so many people in our world are denied, and I have my little blog which, although does not get nearly as much traffic as yours, is still a nice little place for me to record my thoughts and share things with all of you. And having all of you makes me so lucky, too!
Lovely post Chessie. Thanks for sharing.
I've always liked reading about other people's belief. I also seem to bump in to the most fascinating religious people that decide to randomly speak to me. On the bus, the train, in a park, outside the bathroom's at the airport.. Everywhere.
I Don't know what I believe in, but i know that I believe in something... or someone. I figured I will get the answers over time.
Anyway, great post, hope you have a good day, Chess :)
That was beautiful Chess. It takes a lot of strength to say that. I value your comments and emails too. You are truly a beautiful person.
I know you read my blog, and heard a lot about what I had to say about this. I just call myself a follower of Jesus, because I think the word "Christian" is so tarnished it's almost meaningless.
I'm thankful for family and friends, and what the future holds for me. :)
What an incredible testimony. Thank you so much for sharing that. I have to just say Amen to all of it.
You are awesome and I count myself lucky to be your bloggy friend!!
Oh I hope, hope, hope you and Marie can come down for a visit soon!!!
Let me know if you need a place to stay. :)
Amen Chester
Beautifully put, Chess. And I am grateful for *you*! You are an awesome person, and I feel privileged to know you through your blog. :)
Wow, really well said. You're incredibly eloquent and everything you said is awesome. :) People like you help me keep faith in the human race. :]
<3
Post a Comment