Friday, May 28, 2010

So You're Probably Thinking I'm Dead...

Well, I'm not.
I'm back to provide you with ample opportunities to 
waste. your. time.

Isn't that awesome??!!
Where else will someone offer to do that for you?
And so cheerfully too!
You're welcome, Time-Wasters.

Hey guess what?
I have a job!
It's messy and sweaty, and sometimes people are rude.
My feet hurt, my legs hurt, and my back hurts a bit too.
But.....beggars can't be choosers.
Plus also, the pay is not too shabby.
Especially for a silly, all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant.

So I will suck it up.

However.
This brings me to the first ever edition of
Chester the Best-er's Bargain or Bust!!

Push PLAY. Seriously.
(and confetti)

Yesterday, I had to get some white, collared shirts for my work uniform. I'm thinking, "Blast, I don't have any money yet, how am I supposed to buy two shirts that look nice enough, without stabbing my wallet in the heart with a dagger?" Now I suppose you are thinking, "Hey doofy, you could always go to the thrift store and buy one." I'm all for secondhand in most cases, but here's why I say no to that bargain: If they're men's, then they're huge, and if they're women's, they seem too fancy-ish, and in both cases, they always seem to have questionable stains. 

But then I had a brilliant idea!! I remembered once that I bought a t-shirt at some touristy spot in this country, but I hadn't wanted to pay the adult price, so I bought the biggest one in the kids' sizes. Fit like a dream. (You know, the good kind of dream. Like where you're flying. Not the crappy, scary dreams. Or the ones where your teeth fall out.) So I said to myself, "Self. Why on earth would that NOT work in this situation?"

So I took myself to the store, headed over to the Little Boys' section, and bought TWO white, collared shirts in the extra-large size.

Grand Total: $17.10
Less than what I would've paid for ONE new women's shirt.

I know, right?!!
Niiiiice.
And yes. They fit perfectly.

Disclaimer: This tip is really only useful for people who are about 5'3" or shorter, and between a size 6 and 4. Because if you're taller, then the shirt will be too short, and if you're above a size 6-ish, then you'll probably have to buy regular sizes at regular prices. Also, you should be a girl. Sorry taller people and/or boys, I can't help you. Learn to shrink and turn female, and then maybe we can talk. Haha.

14 comments:

Emmy said...

Hehe. Nice, Chess :) Congrats on finding the job, by the way. That's great!!!

Emmy said...

And, I'm glad that I was wrong and you're not dead ;)

Anonymous said...

Hooray!! Chess is not dead and is employed! I'm almost there with you, except they keep interviewing me like they're not sure. >.>

Spratt said...

Good post! I especially liked the last part. ;)

Amy said...

Hey i used to wear my little brother's button up shirts all the time when I was younger and shorter and skinnier and my brothers were still smaller than me! cool!
Good job on the job! ...
That's awesome. Hope all goes well with it and you get to make lots a mooola.
I'm glad you're not dead too. How then would i procrastinate going in to tame the icky frizzball on my head?

Kayce said...

I bought all of my old work uniform shirts in the little boy's section. Love it! And I especially love when you can get them on sale.
PS, I'm so glad you came over for dinner last week. Sorry it was pretty mediocre food. I'm not sure why whenever someone comes over my cooking skills go out the window and dishes that are usually tasty are not so tasty and I burn the broccoli. Maybe I should just start stetting a place at the table for Murphy. I hate that guy and his stupid law. But it was so fun to have you over. And the ice cream was great!

Jason & Shannon said...

That's what I did when I worked at the Brick Oven, and I'm about 5'4 ish.

Kelsey M. said...

Where do you work? Congrats on the job! I love being able to buy extra large boy's clothes. haha. I got the best sweats in the world at christmas time in the boys section at old navy.

p.s.- favorite something corporate songs:
*hurricane (this is my most favorite song of all songs in the entire world).
*punk rock princess
*cavanaugh park
*konstantine
*globes & maps
*space

there are so many but i especially love these ones. they do swear every now and then so if that offends you be careful :)

enjoy!

Unknown said...

That reminds me of a girl I used to date :). She used to shop in the children's section, almost exclusively, because she was tiny. And not at all a child. Remember that, people.

Her parents are Singaporean, and they're tiny, too.

Actually, I saw her walk into a coffee shop I was in the other day. She saw my face and ran. Now, I'm rather ugly, but once upon a time she saw past that.

Now it seems as though I have the plague, in her eyes.

Ah, well...

Job in a buffet restaurant could be taxing :).

Rick said...

Love the audio clip.

Steven Cain said...

Mystery stains...ick.

Lindsay said...

thank you for the sound effect. that is all i have to say at this time

Unknown said...

yay for a job!!! I LOVE buying clothes out of the kids section, its pretty much the best ever! Especially at walmart because walmart clothes are always ridiculously large including the kids, so they fit perfectly and they only cost like five bucks. :)

jen@ricochet said...

SAHWEEET!