Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sometimes, I Just Wanna Chat...


You know?

I just want to sit down and talk to you, sorta like we're in the same room, because you dropped by my apartment and knocked on the door, and I called out, "Come in!" because I happened to be baking banana muffins, and so I gave you some. And we just talked about what you're doing, and what I'm doing, and what our summer plans are, and hey, are you going dancing on Wednesday night? 

The kind of talk where we just think about what we've learned,
cos even though life hasn't been too long for us, 
we've still learned a ton.

That kind of talk.
You know, cos I like you and stuff.
Cos I do, Groupies, I like you a lot.

I feel contemplative today. I think maybe it's because everything has changed this year. Finals this week. Best friends moving out and getting married. Getting my heart broken. Feeling it heal again. Deciding not to be a teacher and to change my major. Realizing I have only one semester left of school, and that in December, I'll have a Bachelor's Degree in Literary Studies. A degree! Belonging to me! Noticing that I don't have a plan for what happens after graduation. Also, I have a really sore throat, and I'm eating chicken noodle soup, and I just feel all pensive when I'm sicky and eating soup.

Want to see a picture of me when I was little?

(I'm much cuter in other pictures, but I can't seem to find those)

This is what I look like now, fifteen years later at the ripe old age of 22:

(birthday dinner at Firehouse Pizza)

Sometimes I feel as though I still only know as much as the 7-year-old me did. 
Do you ever get that feeling?
It used to be, and still is, because I feel like people are so much smarter than I am.
Now, more often than not, it's because people my age are getting
careers,
marriages,
babies,
houses,
grown-up lives,
while I still have never been kissed.
There's a confession for ya.

I've really enjoyed this blog of mine the last couple weeks or so. May I tell you why? It's because when I ask you questions, you answer them, no matter how silly they seem to be. And when you do, I learn something. I've so enjoyed reading the comments that you leave. No matter what time of day it is, I always close my laptop with a smile on my face and I have you to thank for it. 

I feel like talking about some of the fun comments you've left. But before I do, I just want to say that I've loved reading your blogs, those of you who comment. I hope I've returned the favor. I love reading about your lives, the funny things you see, the people who make you smile, and hard things that you somehow find the strength to get through. It makes me appreciate my life, the funny things I see, the people who make me smile, and the strength that I find to help me through the rough patches. 

Last week, I asked you guys (boys), what made you melt, what you found attractive. It's funny, because even though we (boys and girls) talk about how we are so different, this let me know that we are more alike than we think. Everything you find attractive in a girl, I'm attracted to in a guy. 

Goofy and smart. Absolutely. I love to laugh. I also need a boy who likes to read books and talk about them.
Childlike. The word was originally "childish," but I'd venture to say that a better word would be childlike. Childish means petty, selfish, and sometimes mean. Childlike means you find joy in imagination, living in the moment, and seeing the world for its possibilities and not its faults.
Spontaneous, caring, and thoughtful. What's better than someone telling you he/she missed you just because?
Being gracious. I don't care about how society has evolved. Men and women should behave as gentlemen and as ladies. Kindness and gratitude will never be out of style. 

I learned I wasn't the only one who loved the Power Rangers. Yes, Stephanie, the Power Rangers were for children, but I was a child, so therefore it was perfectly fine. And since we have learned that it is okay to be childlike, then it was fine for me to watch it last Saturday. Haha. And Amy, how could it be that it was before your time? You can't be younger than I am, right?

I also learned I am not the only one who gets Insta-Crushes on people. And Steven, I think he was smiling at the piano. He definitely did not notice me. Haha. 

I learned that Rick and Roxie (and possibly Becky) have never gone ice-skating!!! Darlings, how have you lived? Rick, please go find yourself an adorable date and go ice-skating. You can lure her with your delicious baked goods. Promise her a cookie afterwards. Roxie and Becky, find attractive men to take you. If possible, go to an outdoor rink next winter. It's so much fun!

I learned that there is always
something to laugh about.
Always.
The sooner we can all realize that,
the better and happier this world will be!

So.
For many of you this is finals week.
I've got two finals and two papers to write.
I won't be posting at all for a bit.

But I wanted to tell you good luck!
Even if you may not end up passing everything,
it's not the end of the world.
I would know. Haha.

So keep smiling no matter what.
And if everyone around just seems not to care,
You can be sure there's at least one person 
who likes you.
Because I do like you, Groupies, I do!

Have a WONDERFUL week!

13 comments:

Emmy said...

Oh, Chester! We love you, too! You're such an amazing person, and whenever I see that you have a new posting on your blog, I get sooo excited, because I know its going to be amazing! You ALWAYS make my day soo much better, even when I'm having a terrible time. I hope that you do well on finals and that you have a great summer. I can't wait until you post again! Thank you for everything!

ames4eva said...

I haven't been a regular commenter on this blog but I have enjoyed reading it on the odd occasion :)

Thanks for adding a bit of brightness to my Monday morning :)

Erica & Benjamin said...

Lol I heart you Chess!!!!!!

brittany michelle said...

you LIKE me! you really LIKE me! :)

someday we're going to meet and we'll chat, i promise

Steven Cain said...

Chess, you little angel!
What a smile you have dear. I figured it was a beauty, looking at your teeny 'About Me' picture...but your B-Day shot...proof positive!

Love the little Chess snapshot...Adorable.

I believe you to be the real deal...a pure and loving human being. And...You took the time Chess...thus you seriously Rock!

Go kick butt on those finals! See you in a week or so...We'll miss ya!

Krystal said...

Chess, I love reading your blog, because so often you say things that I am thinking about, and sometimes when I read about you it's like reading about myself. Thanks for being willing to share!

And if it'll make you smile... I'll confess that I've never kissed a boy either... or held anyone's hand for that matter.

suzy said...

never been kissed? that's so sweet. i saved my first kiss for the first boy that i felt really deserved it. at 21, i had my first kiss--in a tree. and i married the guy a year later.
:D

Lindsay said...

i feel like i've missed something. i should have been reading your blog long before today, but better late than never. right? i totally know how you feel with the people around me moving on and living their "grown-up" lives and i feel like i'm stuck in limbo. also, i have never been kissed (and i'm 4 years older than you...) nor have i been on a date in the past 5 years. lame. this was not meant to be a pity party. i really just wanted to say "you are not alone" and "i like you too"

stephanie clara said...

Hi Chess,
all of luck with the finals this week.
And should you - halfway - lose courrage or faith or stimulation, just cry out and you know your groupies are here to back you up.

stephanie

Amy said...

Chess, I'll miss you while you're busy being brilliant! Here's one big fat good luck! from me.
I'm so stoked you mentioned me. :D
And no, I'm actually older than you. I'll be twenty-eight this thursday! When I said the power rangers thing was before my time, I totally said it wrong. I meant that I was too old to get into them. Yeah... made sense in my silly head but not anywhere else. It happens sometimes. :)
My little brothers were obsessed though.
Oh, and here's a message from Kadence:

Thanks for always talking to me! When I'm rich and famous and traveling all over the world, I'll totally tell everyone how Chess was one of my first bloggy buddies.

Rick said...

You are so sweet! I love you and your blog so much. Yes I will attempt ice skating sometime. . . Congrats on nearly finishing school. And you have a wonderful week!

Unknown said...

Never been kissed? Best way to be :). I often wish I could be like that again. Although I have to say- If I weren't on the other side of the world, I might try and change that status of yours ;).

Behave, Evan...

Chats are wonderful. Unless they're not. Then they can leave you wheezing on the footpath in the middle of the night, wondering why someone would throw their life away. You cry and you cry, but apparently all those words she once said meant nothing. NOTHING! What's the point of it all? 21 years down, and why bother, if she doesn't want to spend another second with you? I mean... Chats can be great :). Thanks for reading my blog :). You're positively lovely :).

*Twitch twitch*

I'm kidding :). I'm in a very good place.

*Twitch*

Kayce said...

So my favorite part was when you corrected the word choice of a comment...amazing =)
Good luck on your papers!