Ah, church. Ah, ward conference. Ah, visiting stake Relief Society presidency.
Our guest teacher holds up a crisp twenty-dollar bill. "How many of you want this?" All hands shoot enthusiastically up in the air. Don't you worry. My hand has joined the masses of stretching arms and waving fingers. She folds and creases it.
"How many of you want it now?" All hands shoot enthusiastically up in the air. She crumples it into a tiny ball.
"How about now?" All hands shoot enthusiastically up in the air. She blinks at us curiously. Do you get it? It's an object lesson on our innate value as sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father. Like, no matter what mistakes we make, or how bruised and beaten we are, while we may seem worthless to our peers, in His sight we are still His children and we are worth everything.
She drops the bill on the floor and digs her heel into it. "Now?" she asks tentatively. All hands shoot enthusiastically up in the air. "Really? After all that?" Silly woman. Obviously, we are really smart and see the object lesson for what it truly is.
Who am I kidding? All we learned is that she purposefully mutilated a perfectly good twenty-dollar bill, and that she clearly doesn't understand how poor we all are.
Monday, January 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I like the lesson she was trying to convey, that no matter what we are like, God is always going to want us because we are still valuable to Him.
I can assure you my hand would be among those raised...Folded, crumpled, or stepped on, twenty bucks is still twenty bucks :P I understand the plight of a poor college student, because I am still one myself, lol.
I also like the lesson, but your point is actually deeper than hers ... No religion/fairh/belief would help you when you have nothing to eat. 20 dollar bill would, on the other hand ...
Haha! True. Good thing she didn't rip it up.
Post a Comment