For example:
I saw some missionaries the other day. It used to be I was in awe of their great stature. I thought they were so grown-up and mature. Now I realize I am as old as they will be when they have been home for a year.
Do you have any idea how WRONG that feels?
You know what else I learned is wrong with being older? When you are older, when walking to the bus stop next to the credit union, it is okay for a young mailman to smile at you after dropping off the mail. It is okay for you to notice that the mailman is not only young, but cute, and red-headed! When you are older, it is okay to smile back when the cute, young, red-headed mailman smiles at you while he hops into his truck, and then nods to you as he drives past.
Whaaaa--?!!!
When did it happen that all of that was okay?
When did it happen that all of that was okay?
When did mailmen stop being strangers that your mother told you not to talk to?
When did mailmen stop being old and fat and hairy?
Okay. They still are, for the most part, but still.
I just don't think I'm old enough yet. Y'know?



2 comments:
Hang on...what was that about red-heads?
just wait until you're my age :)
Post a Comment